Recipes

Friday, January 24, 2014

My Favorite Books of 2013

I love reading.  When I get wrapped up in a good book I become a bad mother and wife. My mom has even told me that I am not allowed to read when we visit each other because I ignore her.  In 2013 my goal was to read 100 books, unfortunately, I was only able to read 91.  I want to share with you a few of my favorites from last year (in no particular order).


Roam series by Kimbery Stedronsky

I am a fan of paranormal fiction and the Roam series was wonderful for me.  It is a very interesting and imaginative series, different from most paranormal books I've read.  West and Roam have seven lifetimes to protect her from evil and save the world.  West fails six times and the series picks up with them finding each other in the seventh.  This series is unique and I fell in love with it immediately.  I believe I read the entire series in a week.  


Inferno by Dan Brown

I love Dan Brown and have read all of his previous Robert Langdon books.  This book did not disappoint.  I have always been fascinated with Dante's Inferno so when I found out that the plot of Brown's next book was based on Dante's Inferno, I couldn't wait to read it.  Just like previous books in this series, Robert Langdon is on one huge mysterious adventure where he needs to decide who to trust before the world is forever damaged.


The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon

The story takes place in 1968 and tells the story of a young white woman and an African American man who have been placed in the School for the Incurable and Feeble-Minded.  The story spans a 40-year time frame and tells of the seemingly unsurmountable obstacles these two go through for their extraordinary love.  Be prepared to shed some tears if you read this amazing book.


The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon

Once I start reading and liking a book in a series, I must read them all in succession.  A friend of mine recommended the Outlander series to me and it has become one of my favorites of all time.  This series is a beautifully written, historical fiction work detailing an epic love story.  The time travel satisfies my love of fantasy and the love between Claire and Jamie is great for my need for romance.  The only downfall I have with this series is that the novels are LONG and at times Gabaldon's attention for detail can get a little boring.  I am excited about the fact that the Starz network is creating a series based on the novels.  I can't wait to see how the tv show compares to the books.  I highly recommend this series to any fan of historical fiction and romance.


Crossfire series by Sylvia Day

For any of you who are fans of the Fifty Shades of Grey, the Crossfire series will be perfect for you.  I'm kind of ashamed to admit it, but I am a sucker for smutty books and this one fits into that category.  The love story between the two main characters, Eva & Gideon, who are both flawed and damaged, is very hot and steamy.  Day also tells about both of their pasts which come back to haunt them as they move forward to their future.  If you are a fan of the hot and steamy with a decent story line, this series is for you.  


The Blackdagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward

I am also a huge fan of vampires which is why the Blackdagger Brotherhood series is probably one of my favorite series ever.  It is about a brotherhood of vampires who work together to protect the world from their enemies in the Lessing society.  Each book is about a different sexy vampire brother,  the woman he loves and the brotherhood's fight with the lessing society.  These books are perfect for the vampire and paranormal romance lover, like me.  


If you take my recommendations and read any of these books I'd love to hear what you think about them.


Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment